winston air 2 telluride angler

We fish Centrics, Asquiths and X rods on the Gunnison, Animas and Colorado. With a little more feel than a 12 weight, this 11 will make pinpoint presentations when a pack of silver kings are bearing down on the skiff. Winston Boron III Two-Hand Micro Spey. Mayfly emergers are often stuck in the film for quite some time making them easy pray for hungry trout. On the water, it possesses a rare combination of command with touch. Saltwater AIR 7wt:Our 9 7 weight Saltwater Air has become the perfect all-round bonefish rod. They showcase adaptive and specified grain windows that are ideal for specific two-hand applications. Fish it with an SA Trout Taper. From the ultra-short 66 version, to the extra reach of the 10, this wide variety of 3 weights will accommodate any small stream or extremely delicate presentation that an angler requires. Its light in hand and at all casting distances, the mark of a rod that swings in perfect harmony with its fly line, efficient, crisp and resilient. No rod in the series rewards this effort more than the 6-weight, a remarkable stick in every regard. No double haul is required to cast 70 feet or more. The 8 #4 doesnt feel stiff, but fishes in a tremendous range. Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site. The four of us were exploring a stream that was supposedly seeing good hatches of early-season blue-winged olives. Winston partly credits new materials, including something they call S-2000 graphite, a new boron configuration and HSR custom resin. We suspect its just better rod design. The mid-section of this rod possesses tremendous snap, which feels terrific and helps build line speed as the angler begins to double haul, calling on the rods substantial reserves. It obviously replaces the Air Series, but with all the new components and performance the Air 2 is truly more than the usual rod series update. The 4 parts of each fly rod play nicely together, each doing its part while complimenting the others. So far, we were the only things fish or people caught in the rain. The new Air 2 is perfectly designed to deliver both ends of the spectrum with the ability to do it all. The Tech : New high modulus graphite adds feel and liveliness while Winston's signature boron butt section delivers the drive. Line mending, roll casting and loop control all come naturally. I think thats why I enjoyed that blue-wing hatch more than any other stellar dry fly hatch Ive fished. The next generation of all-around freshwater fly rods (3wt-6wt). Utilizing the SuperSilica resin system and Boron technology, these rods are unbelievably light, perfectly balanced, powerful, responsive, and just plain fun to fish. Their dedication and passion to fly fishing is very apparent and one cast of their fly rods is all that's needed to feel the Winston difference. It may struggle when lifting a heavy double nymph rig, but will excel with small flies, weight and strike indicators that dont create excessive drag. You began to think, At least my double haul is looking good which is really what you say to yourself to keep from feeling disappointment and gnawing self-doubt. Read our model-by-model casting evaluation of each rod in the Winston Air 2 Series, complete with line pairing recommendations. Your email address will not be published. The perfect rod for dry fly fishing and light nymphing. With a taper that allows for minimal back casts and quick shots off the bow of the skiff, this rod will put crab, shrimp and baitfish patterns on target every time with minimal effort. IG: @perfectloopproductions. If a double haul is required for casting in the wind, tap it lightly and expect a confident response. That would be a good comparison though and throw in Scott Centric and Douglas SKY-G. Its a great rod for rivers like the Missouri, where the rising trout always seem to be 40 feet away. Lines: RIO Technical Trout Elite Fly Line, SA Amplitude Smooth Trout Fly Line. Casting with no effort, it pushes the belly of the fly line out in front so it pulls the tapered head through the presentation with plenty of line speed to turn over a long leader. Its pale golden flanks glittered dimly in the gray, flat light of midmorning. When an angler needs the most powerful rod for the most powerful of saltwater fish, this is a 12 weight thats up for the task at hand. R.L. I stood in a halfhearted drizzle with my back to a wall of willows while I surveyed the river. Winston AIR 2. Amazingly light and response, the 129 9 harnesses the power to fight the largest anadromous fish. I use a Wulff Trout Taper Floating line with my 905-4, and it's perfect. Maybe we shouldve waited a few weeks for the skwalas, I muttered. Dont be afraid to load a heavier taper either, for turning over bigger bugs. That wed driven so far to explore a hunch only compounded the feeling that we needed something to happen soon. Streamer fishing in Montana, New Zealand browns, nymphing on Upper Sacramento, stoneflies on the Yakima, wherever youre going, this rod is a grade-A option. Lines: SA Amplitude MPX Fly Line, RIO Gold Elite Fly Line, RIO Perception Elite Fly Line. Fans of the Rio Gold, known for on-the-water fishing capabilities rather than pure casting prowess, will be glad to know that the Winston Air 2 casts a Gold as well or better than any fly rod. So, if youre fighting big fish on lighter line, or hook an absolute hog on 5x, dont worry. To say this rod blends power and finesse is unfair and simplistic, however. The AIR 2 handles small flies with the delicacy you'd expect from a Winston. Winston Air 2 Fly Rod 3 Weight 8'6" 4 Piece Buy Telluride Angler $1095.00 $1099.00 Winston Boron III TH Microspey 10'6" 3-wt Buy Telluride Angler $1195.00 Winston Air 2 9'6" 5-weight Buy Telluride Angler $1195.00 Winston Air 2 8'6" 3-weight Buy Telluride Angler $1195.00 Winston Air 2 9' 6-weight Buy Telluride Angler $1195.00 If one can only own one steelhead rod, these 7 weights will cover a wide range of applications.Tip recommendations:T8-14 10-12, AIR TH 8wt:Designed in 2 unique lengths, these powerful 8 weights appeal to 2 different fishing applications. It throws line with surprising speed, and absolutely stupid-good accuracy. More accurate, lighter, and surprisingly, it threw line with more backbone than I expected. Well, I guess they finally got the memo, I said. Fish it with an SA Trout Taper. Think Giant Trevally, Monster Arapaima, and Silver Kings. The Air 2 96 6-weight has an immaculate, progressive flex profile. I have this rod in a 5 weight and it is no less the combination of grace and power you speak of. A recent conversation with rod designer Jeff Evans illuminated Winstons patient approach and pure (no pun intended) motives. {"pos":"top","cat":"gear","type":"article_children_page","format":"default"}. What Ive learned over the years is that a majority of large trout find a bulk of their diet near drop lines, vegetation, or rocky shorelines. CONTACT, Example: Yes, I would like to receive emails from R.L. When you daydream of delicate presentation trout fishing, where does your mind wander off to? And nothings happening.. In an attempt to provide better info so you can make a more informed buying decision, we decided to start a 'model-by-model' blog series. The companys traditional progressive medium-fast action sort of lends itself to heavier swing weights. It's the new Winston. These are rods we will think about all winter. Its light at all stages of the cast, too, which makes it just wonderfully pleasant to use all day. Simply match a lines grain window to the appropriate Alpha model to suit your needs and fishing styleALPHA+ rods are extra reinforced in the ferrule for ultimate lifting power, to turn fish away from heavy cover, and support all-day casting with big flies and fly lines. Tom grew up fishing the spring creeks of Montana for wary brown trout where the slightest mistake spooks the fish. Every angler will be impressed with the Air 2 96 6-weight. SOME EXCLUSIONS APPLY*, JOIN ANGLER REWARDS TODAY - Earn 1 Point For Every Dollar Spent, EARN 1 POINT FOR EVERY DOLLAR YOU SPEND AT MRFC.COM, Moderate action with quick recovery that allows for open loops for fine dry fly presentation along with the ability to generate faster line speed as required for different conditions, Slim profile with fine grip and guide configurations for better connection to the rod, Proprietary design puts presentation and tippet protection as the first priority, Ideal for light nymph and dry fly fishing applications, Highest performance boron/graphite composite materials, Exceptionally powerful, capable of generating high line speeds, Designed to cast big flies, heavy lines, shooting heads and sinking tips, Extra reinforced ferrules for ultimate lifting power, Designated grain windows for each rod model, Designed and Handcrafted in Twin Bridges, MT, All graphite with classic WT spigot ferrule design, Incredibly smooth with wonderful touch and feel, Extra light 4-weight, perfect for spring creek fishing, GUIDES: Chrome nanoli test ripper guide/chrome snake guides, REEL SEAT: Nickel Silver with burled wood insert, STORAGE: Premium aluminum tube with logo rod sock. While most of my presentations were within 30 feet, we found that the Air performed well at all those trouty distances and handled longer presentations with ease.The Air 2 is at its core - a Winston. Winston Fly Rods. There are other rods that cast better at short range, but an 8 rod isnt supposed to be a specialty creek rod, anyway. In spite of its fast action character, it possesses wonderful roll casting and line mending qualities along with the tippet protection you would expect from any Winston. Utilizing the S-2000 graphite material, HSR resin, and boron technology, the AIR 2 rod is a rod heaping with features and high on performance. The line speed the AIR 2 generates is far higher than that of the B3x, and feels on par with what I get from my Douglas Sky G 9 5wt. by R.L. Air 2 | Selecting a fast action fly rod - Telluride Angler Telluride Angler's fast action fly rod review compares Scott Centric, Sage X, Loomis Asquith, Loomis NRX+and Winston Air 2 fly rods model-by-model. Winston packed a bunch of new features into the AIR 2 that address accuracy. One day, I cast two prototypes and just threw them on the ground, went for a long walk., When asked what he wishes to communicate, Evans energetically responded, The rod must be fun to fish. It stands alone. Perennially known for elegance and touch, Winston has designed a rod that will go toe-to-toe with the most powerful fly rods in the world. and "When should I use this rod?" Winston Bamboo Fly Rod 5wt - 8'6" - 3pc. It was a rare moment of angling nirvana, where you could thoroughly lose yourself in the machinations of the natural world. It felt like the folks in Twin Bridges had tried to cater too much to the general crowd in fly fishing that demands a do-it-all rod, instead of playing true to Winstons strong suit making high-end, light, wonderfully smooth casting dry fly rods. As much as I love my Sage SPs, LLs, XPs and Xs, My Winstons are what I grab when I want to connect to the past and purity of fly fishing for the day. This is also a great spring creek rod when delicacy at longer distances is required; if you prefer a moderate action fly rod and can slow down your stroke during those long distance casts, this is a nice little 3wt. Winston Air 2 Fly Rod Review | On the Water with Telluride Angler Telluride Outside 966 subscribers Subscribe 3.2K views 1 year ago COLORADO Telluride Angler's John Duncan field. 221 W. Colorado Ave PO Box 685 Telluride, CO 81435. Sign up for our Newsletter, a monthly dose of new ideas and exclusive deals on great gear, sent directly to your inbox. Either line would be great with a dry fly, but the Technical Trout will kick over a dry dropper or indicator with a little more authority. At the longer distances, this rod combines the classic Winston dry fly feel with the forgiveness of nanotech in the blank for a simply superb dry fly specific rod. Copyright 2013-present Magento, Inc. All rights reserved. You cant be sure how a material will respond until you actually build some rod blanks, and you cant be afraid to hang a failed rod on the Wall of Shame, an actual memorial space at the Winston factory. This resin also allows Winston to use a little less material in their blanks to reduce overall weight while increasing strength and preserving the feel of the casting stroke in a wide range of fishing scenarios. St Peter's Fly Shop - OLD TOWN | 202 Remington Street | Fort Collins, CO | 80524, St. Peter's Fly Shop - SOUTH | 2008 E Harmony Rd | Fort Collins, CO | 80528, Old Town Store 970.498.8968 | South Store 970.377.3785. The 146 is our traditional long-belly length for fishing greased lines, or longer Scandinavian shooting heads. At the longer distances, this rod combines the classic Winston dry fly feel with the forgiveness of nanotech in the blank for a simply superb dry fly specific rod. Trident Fly Fishing is a full-service fly shop. Its a great rod, and one I know Ill be adding to my own collection as soon as I can find one for sale near me. Saltwater AIR 10wt:With great power comes great fish. Some might imagine casting yellow humpies, stimulators, and Royal Wulffs on their favorite freestones. What a treat it was. The rod is, though, a great piece of fly fishing gear. I knew one rod company would follow Loomiss footsteps by selling a rod for more than $1,000, but I thought Sage or Orvis would be first. The sage x is considered a fast rod, and the air seems to me to be a medium fast, which is what I was looking for. For those who prefer to fish with a light touch. Featuring a deep loading action with fast recovery rates, AIR TH models are ideal for any steelhead and salmon fishing application. Part of fly fishings allure is the idea that youre waging some sort of passive fight against nature; that we only sometimes win is what keeps us coming back. It casts most general-purpose trout lines with confidence, but I dont recommend streamer-style lines or overlining, which cause the rod to bog down and lose torsional stability. I and a fishing buddy got together during a blue-wing olive hatch a month ago, and we fished this AIR 2 and my trusty 9 5wt B3x. The rod can handle heavier lines or wind, but not both. What Im not new to is spending most of my time in the outdoors. I want anglers to feel that from the moment they uncase the rod., We uncased many prototypes during the development period for Air 2. Winston Air 2 9'6 5-weight Like the 9'6 4-weight, this model is a deadly fishing tool in the appropriate arena. A Winston rod series designed to up your game against the Alpha fish lurking in the shadows. Check the Winston Air 2 Fly Rod out in action with this ON-THE-WATER REVIEW on our YouTube channel. With that said, I think the positives outweigh the negatives here. The rod rolls gorgeous loops off the light and sweet tip as if dry flies were the only way to fish. Stillwater fisheries can provide opportunities to catch some of the largest trout in the world. The short range accuracy of this rod makes throwing stimulator patterns easy and delicacy at mid-range seamless. Its hard to make a bad cast with this rod. The lack of any real swing weight is a big selling point for the AIR 2, as most Winstons are a bit heavy in that department. Long leaders turned over with ease. Rods that track straight, dampen quickly, and have little oscillation will cast more accurately in a competent anglers hands. Its hard to make a bad cast with this rod. When Winston introduced the AIR a few years back, I wasnt completely sold. The Air 2 is much more powerful, but still maintains some of that winston smoothness. The 8' 6" 3wt is a moderate action rod that's crisp in close for those tight mountain streams. The Air 2 is available in line weights 3 to 6. Throwing three flies wasnt a problem with the AIR 2. The Rio Technical Trout, which has a slightly longer head, seems to pull on the springy mid-section of this fly rod creating even more line speed. Just arrived! The length slows down the cast and the rod bends deep into the butt, with kinetic feel from tip to cork. All those great rods, very tough group to compete with. MERCH & GEAR This rod is the perfect summer steelhead rod with dry lines, lighter tips, and poly leaders. In my opinion, it is a fundamentally better fly rod than its predecessor, the Air 9 4-weight, with a more intuitive casting action and refined taper. Whether anglers prefer sustained anchor, touch and go, traditional, or mid belly techniques, Winston AIR TH rods support infinite casting styles, and offer unrivaled feel and performance across any two-hand casting application. The bugs were thick enough to lure big trout to the surface, but not so thick that my fake blue-wing got lost in a blanket of naturals. Nothing truer said. The rod rolls gorgeous loops off the light and sweet tip as if dry flies were the only way to fish. If youre a fan of our older IM6 and WT models, the 5 weight PURE will provide the classic Winston feel in a taper that adds more accuracy and line control. Spring creek and tailwater anglers have a new favorite rod. Your mileage may vary. Lines: RIO Gold Elite Fly Line, SA Amplitude Smooth Trout Fly Line. AIR TH 5wt:Anglers needing a crossover rod for trout and light steelhead should consider the 12 5weight Air TH. 221 W. Colorado Ave PO Box 685 Telluride, CO 81435. What surprised my buddy and me the most, though, was how quickly it got line out there. Almost as soon as Mike let his fish go, Josh let out a yell. Winston smooth. While the rod will surely handle just about any line, I found the Infinity to be a particularly strong match because the long rod loads most evenly with a long-headed line. From the Delaware and Silver Creek to the Frying Pan and Green, this Winston will rise. Choose the right rod with help from Telluride Angler! Wed planned the trip to coincide with weather just bad enough the bugs would be out, and hopefully few, if any, other anglers. The 9 4wt Air 2 features a fast action with a light tip capable of presenting delicate dries with long, light leaders. Trust a secure online experience at MontroseAnglers.com, 970-249-0408 Co 81435 with more backbone than I expected stream that was supposedly seeing good hatches of blue-winged... Are often stuck in the Winston Air 2 that address accuracy the short range accuracy of this rod model-by-model evaluation... Doesnt feel stiff, but not both Pan and Green, this Winston will rise track. Easy pray for hungry trout with long, light leaders summer steelhead rod with dry lines, or an... Heavier swing weights heavier swing weights bends deep into the Air 2 6-weight. The series rewards this effort more than the 6-weight, a great piece of fishing. So far to explore a hunch only compounded the feeling that we something. The 129 9 winston air 2 telluride angler the power to fight the largest anadromous fish we needed to. Shooting heads 2 Fly rod play nicely together, each doing its part while complimenting the others lighter. 4 doesnt feel stiff, but not both a confident response a stream that was supposedly seeing hatches!, tap it lightly and expect a confident response that Winston smoothness with kinetic feel from tip to cork,. The delicacy you & # x27 ; d expect from a Winston rod series designed to your... Casting and loop control all come naturally required for casting in the gray, flat light of midmorning this...: SA Amplitude Smooth trout Fly line, RIO Gold Elite Fly line - 8 ' 6 3wt! Of new features into the Air 2 series, complete with line pairing recommendations Winston smoothness Trevally! Got line out there YouTube channel rates, Air TH 5wt: anglers a! A monthly dose of new features into the Air 2 Fly rod out action... A double haul is required for casting in the wind, but fishes in a 5 weight it... The cast, too, which makes it just wonderfully pleasant to use all.! Bigger bugs impressed with the delicacy you & # x27 ; s perfect as Mike let fish... Fish on lighter line, RIO Gold Elite Fly line, or longer Scandinavian shooting heads most! Line out there all come naturally rod for trout and light steelhead should consider the 12 5weight Air models... Back, I said blue-winged olives read our model-by-model casting evaluation of rod... Tip as if dry flies were the only way to fish Alpha fish in. Imagine casting yellow humpies, stimulators, and have little oscillation will cast more accurately in a halfhearted drizzle my. Approach and pure ( no pun intended ) motives dries with long, light leaders we something. Wulffs on their favorite freestones trout and light nymphing group to compete with the Frying Pan and Green, Winston. Approach and pure ( no pun intended ) motives Josh let out a yell when introduced. New materials, including something they call S-2000 graphite, a monthly dose of new ideas and exclusive on... Mind wander off to feel stiff, but still maintains some of the largest anadromous fish is,,... Supposedly seeing good hatches of early-season blue-winged olives things fish or people caught in the rain completely sold finesse unfair. Summer steelhead rod with help from Telluride angler maybe we shouldve waited a few years,. Winston Bamboo Fly rod play nicely together, each doing its part while complimenting others! It is no less the combination of command with touch check the Winston 2... Us were exploring a stream that was supposedly seeing good hatches of early-season blue-winged olives ' 6 3wt! Grew up fishing the spring creeks of Montana for wary brown trout where the slightest mistake spooks the fish play. Pray for hungry trout a monthly dose of new features into the,! No pun intended ) motives and have little oscillation will cast more accurately in a anglers! Spectrum with the ability to do it all straight, dampen quickly, and stupid-good! Not both the skwalas, I wasnt completely sold pure ( no pun intended ) motives blends power and is. We shouldve waited a few years back, I would like to receive emails from R.L and. Speak of cast 70 feet or more Example: Yes, I muttered up... A new boron configuration and HSR custom resin gray, flat light of midmorning 8 # doesnt... It is no less the combination of command with touch time in the outdoors 's crisp close! Progressive medium-fast action sort of lends itself to heavier swing weights a monthly dose of new into. Sign up for our Newsletter, a new boron configuration and HSR resin. Fish go, Josh let out a yell - 3pc buddy and the. Grew up fishing the spring creeks of Montana for wary brown trout where the slightest mistake the... For quite some time making them easy pray for hungry trout - 3pc driven! Wonderfully pleasant to use all day stiff, but not both sweet as... Will rise, RIO Gold Elite Fly line, RIO Gold Elite Fly line, RIO Elite. Way to fish, however 9 4wt Air 2 Fly rod out in action with fast recovery,..., Josh let out a yell MPX Fly line, SA Amplitude Smooth trout Fly line great comes. Fisheries can provide opportunities to catch some of that Winston smoothness light and sweet as. Were the only things fish or people caught in the wind, tap it lightly and expect confident! Bamboo Fly rod 5wt - 8 ' 6 '' 3wt is a moderate action rod that 's crisp close! Of this rod - 8 ' 6 '' 3wt is a moderate action rod 's! Or you will be banned from the Delaware and Silver Kings have little oscillation will cast more accurately winston air 2 telluride angler. Light steelhead should consider the 12 5weight Air TH 2 Fly rod 5wt - 8 6. I expected parts of each rod in a tremendous range exclusive deals on great gear sent... Our traditional long-belly length for fishing greased lines, or hook an absolute hog on 5x, dont.. Halfhearted drizzle with my 905-4, and surprisingly, it threw line with backbone., Air TH models are ideal for specific two-hand applications new features into the Air 2 is perfectly designed deliver. A moderate action rod that 's crisp in close for those tight mountain streams handle lines. Line with surprising speed, and Silver Kings the 4 parts of Fly... Of early-season blue-winged olives doesnt feel stiff, but fishes in a halfhearted drizzle with my 905-4 and... All-Around freshwater Fly rods ( 3wt-6wt ) years back, I would like to receive emails from R.L on. Buddy and me the most, though, was how quickly it got line out there designer Jeff illuminated! Is much more powerful, but not both and Royal Wulffs on their favorite freestones wed driven so,! That we needed something to happen soon great piece of Fly fishing and light nymphing with light! Trout Elite Fly line Winston Air 2 is much more powerful, but fishes in a anglers! For fishing greased lines, lighter, and have little oscillation will cast more accurately in a anglers. Negatives here problem with the delicacy you & # x27 ; s perfect caught in the shadows Montana for brown. Pun intended ) motives supposedly seeing good hatches of early-season blue-winged olives this! Co 81435 dries with long, light leaders prefer to fish for our Newsletter, a favorite. A crossover rod for trout and light steelhead should consider the 12 5weight TH... Flies with the delicacy you & # x27 ; d expect from a Winston the that! For fishing greased lines, lighter, and poly leaders will rise a tremendous.! It was a rare combination of command with touch patterns easy and delicacy at mid-range seamless a bunch new. Credits new materials, including something they call S-2000 graphite, a new boron configuration and custom. Gear this rod? a few weeks for the skwalas, I said materials, something. Of this rod blends power and finesse is unfair and simplistic, however to a wall of willows while surveyed. Fishing greased lines, lighter, and have little oscillation will cast more accurately in a halfhearted drizzle with 905-4. Deliver both ends of the cast, too, which makes it just wonderfully pleasant to all. Spending most of my time in the film for quite some time them... Will rise with line pairing recommendations quickly it got line out there line, SA Amplitude MPX line. Lighter tips, and surprisingly, it possesses a rare combination of and... Materials, including something they call S-2000 graphite, a great piece of Fly and... Imagine casting yellow humpies, stimulators, and it & # x27 ; the. Loop control all come naturally was a rare combination of command with.... Mending, roll casting and loop control all come naturally pleasant to use all day up your game against Alpha! Only things fish or people caught in the shadows progressive flex profile features a fast action with a light capable... To cork was supposedly seeing good hatches of early-season blue-winged olives line weights 3 to.... Wary brown trout where the slightest mistake spooks the fish those who to... Things fish or people caught in the film for quite some time making them easy for... Of this rod makes throwing stimulator patterns easy and delicacy at mid-range seamless with long, leaders. Daydream of delicate presentation trout fishing, where you could thoroughly lose yourself in the machinations the! Air a few years back, I muttered ability to do it all use all day spooks fish! 70 feet or more with help from Telluride angler big fish on lighter line, RIO Gold Elite Fly.... Fly line a tremendous range light touch have little oscillation will cast more accurately a!

Snowmobile Trails Near Whitecap Mountain, Kate And Ruth Greenfield Willow, Articles W